Thread: Weed eaters

Weed eaters

We need a new weed eater...a really good one that can handle a lot of tall, thick weeds. Any suggestions on brand? Last one we had was a Troy Built and it crapped out on us within a year and a half.

There are a number of good brands, but Echo and Stihl have long been the choice of the professional lawn care folks in my area. I have a Stihl FS55C myself. Too early to tell how long it'll last since it's only five and a half years old and cost $239.99 new. And it's considered a "homeowner" grade. The professional grades may be better, but of course cost more, too. After the first year, I put a new sparkplug in it, and decided that was a waste of time and money, so I haven't done that again. I do add genuine Stihl grease to the gears once a year; still haven't used half of the original tube of grease. And of course, I have to put new string on it occasionally (as I did yesterday).

I've tried all the cheapo brands and none of them lasted. Bought a Stihl and have been impressed with the quality and power. I got the FS90. It wasn't cheap but it works and works and works. Sure beats fiddling with the cheap brands. Time is money in my book.

I've got a DR Trimmer/Mower and it has been incredibly reliable for years. My only complain is that the strings don't hold real well. I've considered going to a bladed trimmer. I suggest you look into the DR but ask them if they have a solution for the strings coming out.

Echo all the way..My dad has had the same one since 1990 and he and I both abuse it. I have also had one since 2005 with no issues...Just make sure you drain the gas in the off season

I bought a Craftsman almost 15 years ago and so far the only thing I've done to it is clean the air filter and replace a short piece of vinyl tubing. It wasn't very expensive but it is fairly comfortable to use and generally starts on the first pull or 2 even in the spring after sitting idle all winter. I know it won't last forever and when it does die I will seriously consider another Craftsman.

I'm using a Poulan SST25 for several years now, no equipment issues at all although it's on gas.

Hi CarrieAnn, only just joined and I dare say you've already found your ideal weedeater, for what it's worth I swear by my Stihl FS400 brushcutter, regards Tony