Looking for a bit of advice. Have a 3 year plan/contract with my daughter regarding horse ownership. If she agreed to do certain things concerning learning about horses and their care, riding lessons (for pleasure, not show) and help instructor by cleaning/grooming, mucking stalls etc..., we would get her a horse. And yes, I realize I will be helping out with chores as well, but she does understand the distinction between someone who enjoys horses and someone who loves horses.

Will be building the barn this fall or next spring (more likely in spring as I want to get it done right and not rush into the process). Initial thought was 24'x36' would be fine, 3 stalls, tack room, either loft or ground floor room for hay, and a small work room for me. 3 stalls because other daughter is 8 and while not interested in horses now, I should plan as if she will be at some point. extra stall is just that, extra. Barn would have its own electric meter and water meter.

Am I thinking too small here? More I consider it, the more I think I should be going with 30x40 (and I am trying to keep cost reasonable). 2 years ago I have a 30x40 pole barn/garage built (dirt floor at time), 10 foot sides walls, slider on back side and 2 garage doors and it ran slightly under $8,000.

Suggestions?

IndianaPaul