We're close to being done with our dream home. I've been keeping a running log over on TBN and finally had a spare moment to put some links over here. It's been a lot of fun for us and incredibly time consuming. Here's a couple of random thoughts on the process...

1) Find a builder you can work with. You will be connected at the hip with this person for many months. If you cannot work well with the individual your building experience will suffer greatly.

2) Plan on lots of stress. My wife and I have each given up several favorite activities (albeit temporarily) to be able to focus on the house.

3) Stay on top of the project. We're out there basically every day. We know the subs and the schedule. We catch problems while they are small which works to everyone's advantage.

4) Treat the subs with respect. We're paying these guys a lot of money for their skills. We lend a hand when it makes sense, keep them well stocked with donuts, cookies and the occasional adult beverage. We help out with the clean up which is greatly appreciated by everyone.

5) Speak up when something isn't right. We're spending a lot of money on a house we fully intend to live the rest of our lives in. If something bugs you today it will likely eat at you for as long as you live in the house. Say something! Most things can be corrected.

There's a lot more to consider but that's a start. This is our second home to build and we've enjoyed it. This one was more stressful as we have two children now. They aren't always as thrilled with the nightly trips to the property as we are.

Looking forward to moving [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Rob

House
Mud
The Pour
House II
House III