I copied this from a post I just made on TBN after searching on the subject, and I thought it would fit in here, too.

Anyone build a forge? Anyone got a hot (!!) setup for someone who doesn't want to make it a vocation, but would like to fool around with some simple stuff (re-pointing wood hooks, twisting and bending stuff for fun and utility), then maybe try welding, or forging some blades?

I got a couple old 20" truck brake drums, and a few odd pieces of 2" pipe & fittings. I've seen drawings of home-made forges used with hair dryers blowing through pipe, up into the brake drum. I've seen people 'smithing with a gas torch for heat, but it seems expensive. I've seen tray-type fire boxes, with sheetmetal hoods.

I'd like to get some ideas for a handy, inexpensive, beginner type setup that could be assemdled with standard stock and pieces. I'd also appreciate advice, and maybe websites, or books if neccessary. Blacksmithing seems like more of a felt thing than a thing one reads from a book, but all info would be glady accepted.

I'd also like info on what type of simple tools to have, fuel to use, and what types of steel - mostly cold rolled, standard stuff? I've seen a lot of shops, some active, some museum type displays, and there's a million tools hanging around the forge, and various vises, etc.. Anyone out there doing a lot of forging with a brake drum forge, and a couple long handled tongs, a hand sledge or big ball pein hammer, a piece of railroad track, and a plastic bucket full of water, or is that too crude?

I know there's a couple of you out there........