Has anyone installed a crate engine in a vehicle that originally had pollution controls on it?

I ask because many of the mfgr sites indicate the following, Some parts are not legal for sale or use on pollution controlled motor vehicles. All of the installations I've seen on TV or read about, the crate motor was being installed in a new vehicle, e.g., street rod, kit car, etc., or in an older vehicle, but never in a vehicle newer than 1970/1971.

I was contemplating replacing the 350 V8 in my 1991 K1500 (when the engine dies) with something with more torque for towing our gooseneck horse trailer, but was wondering if it was legal to do so.

This past weekend, Horsepower TV on TNN showed installing an Edelbrock crate engine in a Chevelle wagon. So, I went out to the Edelbrock site and only one of their engines, the base model (310 hp, 375 ft lb) indicated it could be installed in pollution controlled vehicle. While the 310/375 is the base motor ($4,900 - $5,200), it would still be way more power than my stock 350 V8, but opting for the top of the line 430 hp/408 ft lb ($7,200 - $7,800) sure would be fun. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]