No cable in our rural area (naturally) and thus I have a BUD (big ugly dish) satellite system. However, for local stuff, I need an antenna and stuck one up on a 20 ft mast - with some 5 feet being above the roof. I want the local antenna higher.
Last year I finally found a used tower (new ones are ridiculously expensive) and over the winter I cleaned all the rust off (wire wheel ... lots of work!) and this spring I primed and painted it. It's ready to go up ... but ... I'm wondering about the adviseability of what I'm planning. Because the planned spot MAY have water and electrical lines under it ... at some unknown depth ... out to the barn, I thought I would anchor the base by putting up a box form, on the ground or maybe at most 6 inches deep, standing up (and securing the tower) in the form and pouring about a 18" to 2' block of concrete. The upper part of the tower will be fastened to the house with a standard mast/tower bracket ... and maybe even an additional bracket to the deck fence on the side.
Would a solid concrete "block" approximately 2x2x2 adequately support the tower (standard triangular 30ft pipe style) with the bracket? Or would I also need to consider guying the structure?

pete