Hazmat,

Since your making some choices for the long term and if your thinking about resale in 5-10 years or whenever a fireplace is a good investment.

I put in a metalbestos setup in the center my garage/office since we have spare woodstove. At the end of the day it was quite costly $1400, to the point that I could have had a single chimney setup for about a $1000 more.

We ran the metalbestos (20') through one floor and then the ceiling with the 12" collar between floors then enclosed this with 5/8" firecode sheet rock - codes asked for this since it was a garage also for the firecode sheetrock on ceilings and walls bordering the garage.

Back to your project, an external FP chimney, foundation brick etc and internal hearth probably is in the range of $3-4K+ while the metalbestos route, pipe, fittings and hearth maybe $2K. It comes down to aesthetics, present $ and what you want in the long run. The plus side of the fireplace is you can take the stove with you in the future, leaving a existing fireplace and the enhanced value of the house is a plus I think.

Good luck on your decision.

Carl