I have a concrete walkway in the front of the house that is all cracked and busted up, so I need to replace it. It won't take enough concrete to make it worth having it hauled in, so I'm planning on doing it with bags of Quikrete, which they sell at Lowes. The walk is 13' long, 42" wide (it's actually just under 3' wide now, but I want to make it a little wider), and I'm planning on going 4" deep = 15.2 cu ft. One 80lb bag of Quikrete contains 2/3 cu ft, so I figured I will need 23 80lb bags of Quikrete. I'm planning to get 24 bags to make sure I have enough.

What is the correct method for doing this? Can I mix one bag at a time in a wheelbarrow, pour it in, then mix the next bag and pour it in, etc until I'm done? Or, will the first bag start to cure before I get the last bag poured? How much water should I mix with each bag? Will I need to put expansion joints in and if so how far apart and how exactly is that done? I'd rather have it be one continuous piece if I can, so is there a way to do that? I'm willing to make it thicker if need be. This will be used for foot traffic only.

What is the best thing to use to mix the concrete in the wheelbarrow? In the past I've used a hoe for small jobs, but is there something better? I have a trowel, what else will I need?