I was in a farm store a few weeks ago to buy my wife a chainsaw safety helmet for her birthday/Christmas. I saw a gas engine powered pole saw for $500. They also had a Remington electric version for $100 which I purchased. I thought I'd gamble $100 on being able to use my portable generator and an extension cord and save $400.

Well, I finally took it out of the box and asembled it today (in spite of the poorly organized tri-lingual manuals). As the generator was already in the back of our little 4x4 pickup (I had been repairing some gates with my MIG welder) it was a natural to go out and give it a trial. Right after I took the chain off and turned it the right way around (did I mention poor instructions?), it worked real good. Agressive little beast. It goes through 6 inch and larger limbs 10 ft and higher in the air pretty easy (I'm 6'2"). Actually limbs under 6 inches no higher than 9-10 ft from the ground go pretty easy), way better than a ladder and my little Mac chainsaw. It adjusts length(height?) pretty easily with its telescopic handle and really zips off smaller limbs. It took a while to "eat" a 8 inch oak limb. I did mannage to get it pinched and have to push a limb up to release it due to my own sloppy operator procedure.

Anyway, so far so good. Can't comment on longivity but it works well so far. I trinmmed 12-15 trees before I decided I was working too hard, needed a cold soda, and might, if I tarried too long afield, miss Stach Keach in an episode of Mike Hammer Private Eye. The work goes fast when you aren't dragging a ladder around. The cord can get tangled/burried in fallen/falling branches but it is simple to unplug it and pull the cord out from the mess, especially if you don't do an extensive "drunkards walk" (random stroll).

It is double insulated and only needs a two wire extension (14 gauge for 100 ft). I used what was handy, a three wire 12 gauge, heavier but not a problem as you only have at most 7-8 ft in the air. It doesn't have an automatic chain oiler but the push button oiler seemed to work fine. It is a small hand held electric chainsaw bolted into a telescopic pole with built in telescopic exension cord. It can be operated independent of the extension handle and has hand guards and trigger switch with safety for that purpose. I haven't used it that way yet but probably will.

By the way... I recomment the Husky (Husqvarna?) brand chainsaw safety helmet with metal screen face shield, neck flap to keep sawdust off the back of your neck, and ear muffs to protect your ears (gas saws). I use mine with my chipper also as it has the habit of belching the last little piece of a large diameter limb back out the feed hopper.

Patrick