I've been contemplating screening in the breezeway for a couple years now, but haven't made any progress yet (mainly due to lack of time). It seems like it should be a fairly simple project, but I know from experience that nothing is ever easy!

The openings at each end are 13' 4" wide and 8' 2" high. It has a concrete floor that is 1' lower than the floor in the house. So, I was planning on putting a wooden floor over the concrete floor to make it level with the house floor. I haven't talked to the building inspector about it yet and want to get some idea of what I'll be allowed to do before I do go talk to him. I was thinking that I could just use joist hangers to run treated 2x10's across from the house wall to the garage wall. Will that work? Then, I'll put treated plywood on top of that and probably some indoor/outdoor carpet on top of that. Since it's not a room addition, it seems to me that I won't have to have the normal required distance up from the ground to the bottom of the floor. I don't remember what that distance was, but when I looked into converting the breezeway to a room addition, I was told I'd have to bust the concrete out and dig down some to make the crawl space deep enough. I won't need crawl space, and will probably put some plastic sheeting on top of the concrete first to keep the moisture from coming up and then just fill it with insulation before I put the floor sheeting on. Does this sound doable and within code requirements for screening in a breezway?

As far as the walls are concerned, I was wondering if I could do it so it could be closed in, like a sun room, in the winter. Any ideas on how to do this? Basically, I want the walls to be pretty much screen in the summer and glass in the winter starting from about 3' from the bottom. That way I could put a wood stove in it and use it as a game room (ping pong, air hockey, etc) or something in the winter.

Does this sound like a doable project?