We're doing some renovations on our house that will entail three pours of concrete. We won't use the minimum amount you have to purchase each time, so with the extra, we decided to pour the slab for what will be our new storage building for our larger tractor, hay baler and manure spreader.

Well after we smoothed out the slab, we noticed a set of chicken tracks going across it. At first I thought it was pretty funny, and even appropriate, although my carpenter buddy was upset, because he wanted the slab perfect. But about an hour later, one of my chickens was lying on the ground near the slab, dead. I checked her body out. No injuries, no sign of disease, not a mark on her.

Could she be the one who walked across the wet slab, and abosrbed some kind of chemicals from the concrete through her feet? There wasn't a mark on her feet, but it seems quite a coincidence that one chicken would suddenly turn up dead. We've had the chickens for two years, and we've only lost some to some local dogs. We've never had one keel over like this. I think it's gotta be conected to the cement.

What do you guys and gals think?