My wife had a blowout on the highway the other day. I went to rescue her and could not figure out how to lower the spare from underneath the bed of the truck to change it (that's another story.) So I waited on the side of the road while she took the car to Firestone to buy a new tire. While she was there the sales associate told her we should be running 50 lbs. in the front tires and 70 lbs in the back tires and when pulling or hauling a load the back tires should be inflated to 80 lbs. My pickup is a F250 and the tires are rated for 80 lbs pressure. I have been running the tires at 50 lbs. front and rear and the ride seems fine to me.

My question is, if I have 70 lbs. in the rear tires and 50 lbs. in the front tires, won't the light rear end be bouncy? Most of the weight is on the front tires so it would seem to me that more air pressure would be used on the front and not the rear. I can understand adding air to the tires when hauling or towing but I gotta wonder about 70 lbs. when traveling empty. Thoughts?