I think I would like to have reverse osmosis water in the new house for drinking, cooking, ice makers, and such. I would prefer to not have to place an under counter Ro unit at each point of consumption. Does anyone here have experience with a "whole house" RO distribution system. Of course, I don't want to treat all the water used in the house, just what would be dispensed through separate drinking water dispensing faucets.

One of my concerns is that it isn't safe to store water after it has been through all the stages of filtration since there is no anti-bacterial action left. I think typical undercounter RO units store the RO water in the little pressure tank provided with chlorine still in solution in it. Then when you turn on the tap to get RO water it flows through an activated charcoal filter which removes taste and odor fron disolved gases, chlorine, etc.

I was thinking I could have a central RO filter station with prefilter and RO filter and do the final activated charcoal filtration for taste and odor at each point of consumption. I would have multiple charcoal filters but only one of the EXPENSIVE RO membranes. I suppose I could either use a larger reservoir/pressure tank to store more RO water or distribute small tanks to the more distant points of consumption.

I'm just taking a SWAG at what might be the way to proceed and would appreciate comments, especially from anyone who has done something like this. I have never used softened water as feedstock for a RO unit. Is this preferable to running the RO unit on "Raw", i.e. hard water?

Pat