Since this post got resurected, I'll post a follow up. Maytag replaced the motor (I had to pay for labor). Six months later, it stopped working - again - this time I figured it was the control circuits were shot, and these weren't still under warranty.

So I bought a new Whirlpool Front Load washer and dryer, and at least my wife is happy. Time will tell if the reliability is up to snuff. They sure wash good - the clothes come out of the washer 'damp', not wet, so they dry real quick.

A few months after that, my sole remaining Maytag appliance, the fridge, started acting up. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Now its waiting to be recycled, having been replaced by a Kitchen Aid.

The lesson for me is simple. Maytag is overpriced junk. Same or better quality comes out of the store brands or GE. Better quality comes out of the (hopefully real) premium brands like Whirlpool.

Kind of a pity. I guess the company lost its way. In any event, I tell my Maytag story to anybody who'll listen - they'll never sell me another thing.