BACKGROUND: When I was an undergrad physics student at San Diego State (GO AZTECS) the Sparrows would bring their fledglings to perch on the edge of the tables at the outside patio of the student union food court. We physics types would make rude comments about the multi-generation welfare cases being displalyed where each generation brought the next to the students to beg for food. The babies would partially extend their wings and wigle them, then tilt their head back and open wide. The parent would come foreward for a crumb and take it and place it in the fledglings open mouth.

FAST FORWARD A FEW DECADES...

Now we feed the finches and notice that the parents bring the fledglings to the feeder where they wiggle their outstretched wings and open wide for the parent to put a de-hulled seed in their mouth. Now in my mellowed advanced perspective I think how sweet, how cute, and am glad my wife took a picture.

Sorry but this cropped little piece was in the glare from the window through which she took the picture. Still you can make out the cute little beggar and its parent waiting to deposit a seed when junior quits flapping and opens its beak.

This is the American Golldfinch (according to my bird books). This late in the season I'm sure this is NOT a fledgling from this parent's first brood.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]