<font color="blue">Well, I guess in the "more is better" approach maybe we should consider a semi-auto .50 BMG. </font color>

Comparing a .223 to a .50BMG. Now you're just being silly and going off the deep end. That's like saying if someone recommends a .45ACP or .40S&amp;W for a self defense carry gun over a .25ACP they are being unreasonable and since "more is better," they should be recommending something like a .454 Casull. Come on Pat....

<font color="blue">I really don't care what any boards may say, my 22-250 will take out a coyote most effectively. </font color>

Who said otherwise? I said there is plenty of debate about the .17HMR / .22Mag being adequate for coyotes...

<font color="blue"> I'm still not entirely sure why we are discussing deer hunting or poaching </font color>

You're being purposefully difficult. [img]/forums/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

(1) I **NEVER** said you, I, or ANYONE ELSE ON THIS BOARD advocated illegal hunting/poaching.

(2) Egon essentially made the same point I did - that a comparatively ballistically weak cartridge (i.e. .22LR) can kill. The only addition I made to his point was that just because you can kill something with a ballistically inferior cartridge doesn't mean you should.

Poaching/Illegal hunting IS SIMPLY AN EXAMPLE where the .22LR (e.g. comparatively weak cartridge ballistically speaking) has been proven to kill game for which any reasonable person (and in this case, the State of Texas as well) would say it is totally inadequate.

Can a .22LR kill a deer: <font color="green"> YES. </font color>
Should you use a .22LR to kill a deer (even if it was legal): <font color="red">NO. </font color>

Cana .17HMR/.22Mag kill a coyte: <font color="green">YES. </font color>
Should you use a .17HMR/.22Mag to kill a coyote (especially under the circumstances outlined in this thread): <font color="red">NO. </font color>

Don't think I can make my point any more clear or draw a more obvious parallel than that.