Hello folks, I originally posted this at TratorByNet, but I thought maybe it would fit better on this forum.

My neighbor and I are considering an offer to connect to natural gas and get off the propane tank. A few years ago, we inquired, and were told it would cost $22,000 to bring the line about a half mile down the road to our property. (there are no other homes between us and the line, but there are some beyond us)

Since the last estimate, the line has been extended to where it is only a 1/4 mile from our properties. They did this for a subdivision that will be starting up next year. We inquired again, and now we are being quoted at $6,500 each or $13,000. This includes laying the line all the way to the house. (400 ft to my house from the road and 200 ft from his house to the road)

Actually, they said it would cost $10,000 to run it to my house and $3,000 to go the additional 200 ft to my neighbors place. My neighbor really wants this to happen and is willing to split the cost. Now that I think about it, if I did'nt hook up he'd have to pay the entire $13,000 cost himself, so we are both doing each other a favor if we split the cost.

Well, what do you think of this price ? Last year I spent $1,600 on propane, this year I pre-bought at $2,200. That comes out to $183 per month all year round. I'm running a gas furnace and hot water heater. (electric dryer)

Also, does anyone think this will raise my property value ?

Oh, and it also strikes me as funny that the gas company really does'nt seem to care if I hook up. It actually seems like I'm bothering the rep.

Jerry