CJDave, There is a lot of DIY out of sight out of mind (Invisible Lunatic?) systems in our rural areas as well. A small town about 6 miles from here had totally inadequate treatment facilities and just dumped the excess raw sewage into a creek feeding into the South Canadian river. It has a new treatment plant as of about 2 years ago. The effluent is sprayed on a cooperating farmer's hay fields. Good deal for everyone.

Previous owner of my place had a septic tank but no leach field, just ran a 4 inch off down the hill. A couple years ago the rules changed here in Oklahoma from perk tests to soil analysis but as I had already registered my perk tests with the DEQ (Department of Environmental Quality) I was grandfathered.

Registering my perk test was the only "interference" or contact I had with any regulatory agency. No electrical or other inspections. No permits of any kind. I, of course, insisted that EVERYTHING be code or better. It scares me to think what sort of real estate nightmares await the unwary who assume that the rural house they buy has been built to code.

Caveat Emptor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]