Hello - My husband and I recently moved from the 'city' to a 30 acre wooded property (in the Virginia Blue Ridge) that's pretty isolated -our nearest neighbor is a mile away. We've got an english coonhound that used to be able to go in and out of the house whenever he wanted (we had an invisible fence at our city house. But ever since we moved he's been stuck in the house all day while we all go to school and work. He hasn't made any messes, but I can't help but think that he must be miserable without the option to go outside. He doesn't have any problem behaviors, he just likes to run around and sniff everything.

We're considering putting in a dog door, but I'm worried that he maybe that would give him too many hours of freedom. There are some coyotes and bobcats in the area, or so we've been told...we're also considering one of those doors that can be programmed to only let him out during certain hours.

I'd love to know people's thoughts on this. Has anyone tried one of those programmable pet doors? Should I just get over the fact that he's bored and lonely for 8-12 hours every day?