I have done searches and read a lot on composting, but I still have unanswered questions. I will put my theory to practice this summer and would invite any feedback.
I'll start with my new aquisition from Ebay, a pto, 3-pt. Merry Mac chipper/shredder for my B2910. There is a never ending of surplus produce (spoiled) for free as well as bagged leaves Spring and Fall. There is always spoiled hay to be had from local farmers as well as twigs and yard waste. I plan on mixing all of the above in whatever quantities become available but still proportional with fewer wood products. I also have about 500 yards of decomposed topsoil/ vegetation/ cranberry bog peat. If I find any rotted cow manure or other manure, I may concider that also. This is mostly for personal use, or to give away some. Apprciate ANY feedback. This pile will be built on clay and turned with a FEL and I expect to use it in a month after starting. I plan to make a new pile each week. ???????? The chipper/shredder has 24 hammers and the smallest part of the throat is about 8 x 12" I think. It will chip 3 1/2" limbs, but that isn't my main concern. Anyone been there, done that? Do I need to tarp the piles? Do I need to insert drain tile for oxygen? Help.
TIA
Steve