Bird, One of the reasons I am glad it is automatic is because it is complicated. It has barometer, altimeter, thermometer, compass, and a bunch of timers and junk I don't even want to know about. GPS was the only thing it didn't have.

I asked her why she got it since we don't SCUBA, fly, or mountaineer hardly ever anymore. She says she feels more secure with a compass and likes it better than her old watch (also Casio) that had little add on thermometer and compass on the strap (SCUBA left overs.) She said she will never use all the features but didn't see a model with what she wanted without a lot of extra.

Expensive watch? Remember when Bulova Acutron was all the rage. Astronauts used it, divers, and on and on. Well I paid $200 for an Acutron with rotating divers bezel, waterproof to 666 feet. The first time I flooded it I was sailing and I didn't get my wrist more than a foot under water. Got it fixed on warranty. Next time was while strolling down the sidewalk in Hawaii and noticed it was all foggeg up on the inside from the humidity (didn't even imerse it!) Got it fixed under warranty. Wore it diving, flooded it, got it fixed under warranty. Finally it got to when I walked into the jewler's shop doing the warranty work he knew why I was there. The watch went out of warranty but the jewler had replaced practically every component so he said he woiuld fix it for $30 and give me a 1 yr warranty. Boy did he regret that! Eventually it quit. I took it in and told them to put in a new batt. If the batt makes it work then fine. If not then take the batt out and I'll scrap it. I gave it to a kid to experiment on. I bought a $26 Timex that lasted till the metal back corroded away but never leaked or had a problem.

Maybe the problem was depth. It was guaranteed to 666 ft and I never went more than 150 ft down and usually not more than about 75-90 ft. Maybe I didn't do deep enough. Since the Acutron episode I have never paid even as much as $100 for a watch.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]