Egon, I have a friend whose name is Edward and goes by Eddie. I thought your usage was a possessive form of his name, what with the capitalization and all. Basically, ignore any of my English usage comments, I'm one of the worst spellers on the planet. Even with spell check I wouldn't get high marks and my grammar is often worse. Lots of people probably don't think English is my first language. I have to stop and worry about things like principle and principal and similar things.

Anyway, I do understand what you did and I do understand how double pole breakers are hooked together mechanically but with each side contacting a different rail and thereby leg of the 240 so an overload on either leg will trip both legs off-line.

I get it, I really do but using mother earth as the neutral to get 120 is a shabby practice. I would only consider it for a temp or emergency measure like if I had to have a work light in a critical situation and only had 240 available and no 240 volt bulbs (and only one 120 volt bulb so I couldn't put two in series) or to run a power tool enough to effect emergency repairs. I just couldn't intentionally wire outlets like that. I only do 240/120 with 4 wires. Two 120 legs, a neutral, and a safety ground. I really don't even like installations where ground and neutral are tied together at the breaker box.

I'm definitely NOT an electrician and most of my experience with electrons was in really small wires but I manage to handle the typical house and shop wiring challenges safely although I am still having trouble deciphering what the electricians left behind that I am going to finish, in a few instances.

Pat