I am only 3 years overdue in getting a good dust collector for my shop. Not that I procrastinate mind you, just busy with hi priority tasks. I finally got one on order and expect it will be up and running by the end of the month (hope hope hope!)

Oneida was my selected source. I am getting the 3 HP Super Gorilla. In addition to dust collection for various wood working tools it can fill 55 gal drums with pelletized cattle feed (corn gluten soy hull mix) from a bulk source (dump trailer).
I probably don't really need the 3HP model but... it comes with free ductwork design ($200 normally) and is only a little bit more expensive than the 2 1/2 HP model and maybe $400 more than the 2 HP model which for my application would be marginal. The 3 HP has a good rebate on shipping too (for a limited time.)

I will be installing some WYE fittings in the duct runs so the shop layout will be reconfigurable with little effort. Of course it has an accessory hose with shop vac style attachments so you can use it like a shop vac. The blower with motor will be on the other side of a wall with sheetrock on both sides so the noise factor will not be much of an issue. With ear protection for the shop equipment I will probably not hear the DC unit.

For anyone not familiar with a cyclonic system... It runs the air stream from your tools including chips, dust, and all through a cone shaped device that separates out all the chips and most of the dust and them puts the air flow through a pleated filter that gets 99.9% of everything above 0.2 microns. The chips and larger dust particles go into a drum for easy disposal and the really fine dust is in the filter which has a Teflon like coating that prevents dust from sticking to it. You tap on the filter and most of the fine dust falls into a removable cap. The fine filter is designed to last 5-10 years depending on yor amount of use.

I read comparison tests published in several woodworking magazines and Oneida was NEVER beaten overall.

I'm looking forward to being able to butcher wood without having a thick coating of dust distributed all over the shop and in my lungs or having to wear a dust mask which I find uncomfortable and sometimes fogs my glasses. I use a shop vac for dust collection some now but it is just nowhere near powerful enough and the filter clogs way before the tank is even half full of ships and dust so is a continuing repetitive pain to empty, clean the filter and reassemble lather rinse repeat.

There are some web sites with instructions on a DIY cyclone but I spend too much time as it is building stuff to be used to build other stuff instead of building the other stuff.

Any other CBN'ers with cyclonic dust collection tendencies?

Pat