Thread: Member Titles

Member Titles

There's a popular computer discussion group that I belong to that has a neat point system. The original poster awards points to those that respond to his/her post based on the value of the response. For example, "you solved my problem" = 10 points; "thanks for the tip, but that's not what I was getting at" = 1 point; etc.

Just an idea since that, on TBN, there are some posters who seem embarassed to have acquired their respective titles because they claim most of their posts were questions and not answers.

I realize that the member titles (gold, platinum, etc.) are not a measure of one's knowledge - they simply indicate how many posts that person has made (except of course for Star members and Moderators). This would change that (free hats for 10 000 points!)

Administrator

Re: Member Titles

Problem is the amount of work that would require... basically, we would have to not only build the system, but then assign points, or deal with the points being assigned in some manner. Then comes the whole "he got 10 points for an easier answer than my 5 point answer!" and all that.

The only other thing we have considered is a time-based membership... but now that we show the date registered with each post, you can easily see if this person is a "new kid in town" or if he or she has been here since the beginning.
    Muhammad Chishti
    Administrator

Muhammad,

Your profile states you have made 140 posts -- yet I counted only 74 when viewing ALL posts.

You must have made quite a few "test" posts before your site came online that have been since deleted. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

:: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

Administrator

Yeah... I was at 70 or something when we reset the forums to 0. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
    Muhammad Chishti
    Administrator