Thread: Any Mule Folk Around?

Any Mule Folk Around?

Any of you CBN folks into saddle mules?

Re: Any Mule Folk Around?

Comin' up on the one year anniversary of our excursion into mule ownership. Moved to the country, and decided we needed an equine around "for the grandkids". Now I did live on a farm as a kid, but really never owned or had much to do with equines of any kind. But after doing my usual ponderin', studyin', and readin', I announce to the CFO that we need a mule. I'm a big guy, so I look for a big mule. Found one on the internet, go look at him, and darned if they don't have another for sale as well. We'll like most folks with more money than brains (and that ain't much), we buy'em both. Lucky is 16.1 hands and half Belgian (lots of character), and Molly Rose is 15.3 hands and half quarter horse (shy, but so pretty). One week later the CFO falls off and breaks her arm (badly), and is just recently back in the saddle. Long story short, I cuss 'em, they're a lot of work, we've got a long way to go to become good mulepersons, but we wouldn't get rid of 'em for anything. We love 'em like the big dogs they are!

Hi Rwarner,
    After 18 years of horses, I decided to try a mule. I bought a 1 1/2 year old about a year and a half ago. He is saddlebred and arab and a large saddle donkey cross. When I figure out how to post pictures I'll put up his photo. I'd like to see your mules if you are able to post photos.

I've been finding it incredible how much different he is than a horse. Little things like picking up his back feet, the flexibility was a surprise when the first time he brought his hoof up like a pump handle. Rubbing his eye with his rear hoof. Or getting into wierd situations that would be a wreck with my horse and he just calmly figurse things out.

Take care,

Boone

The differences in their personalities never cease to amaze and entertain me. My john Lucky, is quite the ladies man, and clearly prefers all women (and kids) over most men. But he also is generally more social. The mare, Molly Rose, is usually shy and a little stand-offish, but always gives me a loud and vocal hello when she sees my truck (or the tractor with her hay). In the pasture Lucky is "large and in charge", and chases Molly Rose off her oats or hay pile. But under saddle (and the one time they escaped), Molly Rose takes the lead, and Lucky follows wherever she leads him. Kinda like us humans? Attached is a picture of Molly Rose after her first bath (at our house anyway).

Figured out how to post pictures finally, so here are a couple photos of General Black Jack Pershing's son, Pretty Boy Floyd. Muddy in the spring time.

Another photo of Pretty Boy Floyd.