Thread: storing a bed mattress

storing a bed mattress

This is pretty far off topic, but I need to store a queen size bed. I've finally reached a compromise and my wife has a agreed that we can buy a new couch with a hide away bed for guests, mostly her parents, to sleep on when they come visit. That means we can get the guest bed out of the front room! We still plan to build an addition in the long term, but that's a few years away.

I need to store the bed in the garage. The garage is not heated and does get damp at times. My plan is to hang the frame from the rafters, then put the bed on the frame. I'll just put the headboard and footboard on top of the rafters. That will get it well off the floor. I've had boxes stored up on top of the rafters for 5 years now and they've never gotten damp.

So, do you think I need to wrap the mattress and box springs in plastic sheeting? If so, should I seal it tight or leave air holes? I also have to worry about moths and mice, so do moth balls really do any good for that?

Re: storing a bed mattress

When we moved we had to store some of our matresses for about 6 months. We found a zippered, plastic cover that was made for each size. You put the matress in, zip it up and it's done. We did not have any issue with dampness, but it seemed they were pretty sturdy and tight. I think we got them from a furniture store.

Frank

Re: storing a bed mattress

The zip up bags are a good idea.
    Another concern = are there any rodents or many bugs that might like to live in your mattress?
    Maybe you could put moth balls or crystals in the big zip-bag... [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]