Thread: Toyota Tacomas - Engines ??

Toyota Tacomas - Engines ??

OK, what we refer to here as a Toyota Hilux I understand you guys refer to as a Toyota Tacoma.

That has been confirmed in a few posts here and on TBN.

I have just ordered an SR5 (Don't know if you get that model variant) with the new V6 petrol 3400cc motor with an automatic transmission.

This is the first auto we have ever had available in a Hilux and the first V6.

I have had 2 Hiluxes previous with a diesel engine but they are sloooooooowwwwwwwww on the road.

We have had a 4cl petrol motor before, but now finally something with grunt and an auto box.

What petrol motors do you guys have in them?

Cheers

From OZ

Re: Toyota Tacomas - Engines ??

Neil,

I have a Tacoma 4x4 Double Cab with the 3.4 V6 and automatic transmission. It has enough power for my needs (as long as I don't need to trailer the L48). The double cab hasn't been available in the Tacoma for very long - I remember seeing them in Brisbane almost 10 years ago and being amazed that they weren't available in the US. They are now a very hot seller.

Curiously, what else is offered for trucks? what us Yanks would call a full size truck? Do you have the diesel offerings like the Cummins and Power stroke engines in Ford and Chrysler products? Do Ford/GM/Chrysler even have a full size offering? Does Toyota offer a larger diesel in a pickup? Can you get the big(at least by Toyota's standards) v8 in the HiLux?

I have seen US version Nissan 80's model in 4-cyl diesel; they were very gutless...

A coworker has the 4-door Tacoma with the 3.4 v-6 w/auto and it's a very nice truck. It has plenty of muscle for anything one would want to do with a mid-size pickup.

Interestingly, when I was a kid we had a 1969 Toyota Hilux with a 4-cyl gas motor. We used the heck out of it. I remember that it was rather stiffly sprung, and one could mound the bed up with green firewood without much affect on the suspension. A very reliable vehicle.
    Fishman

Dave

We have had the dual cabs since early 1980's. You saw one in BRISBANE !! My home town !!

What brought you over this way ?? [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

From OZ

Robert

We lack big trucks. Full stop !!!

All dual cabs here are the size of the Tacoma with the exception of the Land Rover Defender and we can now get the Ford F series. That is a seriously bug truck for us. It has a turbo diesel V8 but I don't know much about it. There are very few of them around.

Toyota offers a ute/pickup in the Landcruiser but no dual cab and that is as big as the Toyotas get.

No V8 except in the Landsruiser GXL wagon and that has on;y just arrived.

We were shocked to hear that you guys get a V8 in a Four-Runner. We only got a V6 in the last month !!!

So no, we have TINY trucks compared to you guys !!

Cheers

From OZ

I used to work for a network equipment manufacturer and I had a good reseller based in Brisbane. I have a lot of friends from that relationship, several of them around Brisbane, some more in Canberra. I've probably been to Brisbane a dozen times, but I've also managed to visit a bunch of other spots in your fine country. Nothing like playing in the surf at Byron's bay on Christmas day - at least for a northern hemisphere native. My wife and I would really like to make another visit some time.

YEah I reckon is pretty OK but I am biased.

We now live about 600km North of there.

We have been away for 8 years now and each time we go to the "Big City" we reckon our country lifestyle is better.

No traffic, no crowds etc.

I'm glad you have been to our part of the world !!

Cheers

From OZ

Neil; I ahve the 2.7L engine in my 1996 Tacoma. It lacks a bit in the power department, but it is typical Toyota quality, 107,000 miles (what's that, around 170,000km?) and not a single cough. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Ahh

We too had the 2.7L but it has now been replaced by the V6 in all but the 2 wheel drive base models.

I am glad we share SOME vehicles !!

Cheers

From OZ