Thread: Toilets in unheated spaces.

Hybrid View

Re: Toilets in unheated spaces.

You are correct in your comment about the aquarium heaters being a little fragile. I think you probably have the best solution given you still want it to be usable, but none the less at this point I think we are kinda "brainstorming" for ideas that would work. Hadn't seen that one suggested so I thought I would throw it out since rarely does it happen here or TBN that someone hasn't already suggested my thoughts.

Jim

jwstewar, Consider this: You posses/exhibit Extra Sensory Projection. Like "regular" ESP but in reverse. You powerfully project ideas which may be picked up by some others. The aquarium heater was a great suggestion and if I hadn't had the heater tape and scrap tubing I would have considered it. NO reason you can't take the "guts" out of the fragile glass container and put them in a more robust enclosure (minding the need for electrical insulaltion and isolation but avoiding thermal insulation and having a dandy solution.

Patrick (with 20 degrees F this morning but returning to at least the 50's soon.)
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

One question I thought of last night. I don't know the answer and don't know if any one else does or not. What would happen if your copper tube would slip or fall into the water up to the point where the heat tape were submersed. I'm assuming the insulation would hold up, but I don't know. Just a question or thought.

JWSTEWAR, I thought of that and the first two ideas that came to mind were: 1. bend the tube into a U shape with one side of the U in the water and the other in the air with thte heat tape on it and 2. use a tube long enough so that when it is in the tank as far/deep as it can go the heat tape is not wet. Both seemed OK but I went with the U bend which looked to be a better choice for my length of scrap copper tube and aesthetics.

You'd have to purposely put it in the water as it would have to defy gravity to get there on its own. A brief dunking should not be disastrous as some folks ignore the mfg warnings and imerse them. I didin't want to take a chance on a long term violation of the instructions.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"