Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing electrical receptacle in plaster wall

Re: Installing electrical receptacle in plaster wa

As soon as the patents are available for others to use them, Rotozip gets competition from others. I see Rotozip has been leading the way with new patents on new bits and tools to stay in the lead. They also have a snake for their tool. They all do the job quite well, and as you know, holding them in a straight line takes some skill and I find it helps to have a straight edge to run the tool along. I wouldn't be without my Rotozip (or a competition tool) as there are times that it is the only thing that will work. It sure revolutionized the drywall trade (which is what it was originally invented for). In the last 10 years it has branched out into a host of applications and uses. The sawblade that attaches is great for cutting tile, and getting into tight corners. Used it to cut a ton of cement board recently.

Re: Installing electrical receptacle in plaster wall

JRF,
    After installing thousands of outlet/switch boxes in plastered walls, I can tell you the procedure that I use.

Tap on the wall to try to locate the studs(or use a stud finder)
    Draw the outline of the box on the wall where it sounded hollow
    Ruin just one utility knife blade by cutting through all the paint on the wall
    Then take a 3/16" or so screwdriver that you don't mind messing up the tip and use light taps from a hammer to 'chisel' into the plaster a little at a time until you get all the way through and all the way around your outline
    dig out all the plaster to expose the lath boards
    Use a sharp keyhole saw to cut throught the lath with light strokes....hard strokes will chip or crack the surounding area
    Once you've cut the the lath board on one side go to the other side.......do not let the board flop around while you cut try to grab it and keep it from moving.
    You'll usually have to cut through 2 or parts of 3 lath boards to get the size hole you need.

Once again, this is how I do it.......and every apprentice I ever had [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Let me know if any of this was unclear.
    BTW.......I have used every mechanical/electrical saw there is to try to do this without the same results as taking your time and do it by hand.
    Jerry

This is almost how I do it as well, except I do not cut the whole way through the lath on one side before moving to the other side. One the first side, I leave just enough lath remaining so the lath doesn't move back and forth as I saw. Once both sides of the lath are within an eighth of an inch of being sawn through, I use a sharp utility knife to finish the cuts.

I've used that "finish" cut as well

Yeah, that's me - Arnold S [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img].

I really don't think I missed anything. My house was built in 1890 and is plaster on wood lath.

I've just rewired the whole 2nd floor and part of the 1st. Not sure what the proper name is, but it was all single wires anchored with ceramic insulators. I spent about 5 hours in the attic ripping all the old stuff out. When it came time to actually replace the outlets, I didn't really care about most of the walls. But, there were a few outlets in locations that I didn't want to mess up. Hence the utility knife trick.

Just thought I would pass along that I just (literally 5 minutes ago) cut a whole in my plaster for a new switch.
    It is the plaster with wood lath....

Used my Dremmel Advantage tool with a new carbide bit designed for tile and plaster and it worked perfectly.. a bit of dust, but absolutely no craking anywhere near by and it seemed to remain very stable during the whole process..

Hope this helps.
    Curtis
    Livin' the simple life, 'ceptin' my high speed internet! [img]/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> Not sure what the proper name is, but it was all single wires anchored with ceramic insulators. </font color>
    It was probably knob and tube wiring.