Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Headlights

Re: Headlights

I'm not looking at doing one of the full HID conversions, as I had said earlier that is too many $s. I'm just trying to learn the difference between the types. The ones I've been looking at all sale for basically the same $s as the regular halogens so I was trying to figure which would provide the best light. I know I'm not going to achieve the advantages of HID but I was just curios if those Xenon and Blue bulbs and if anybody had seen any advantages to going with those. I'm wanting to upgrade a little bit because I think the headlights on the Accord are pretty crappy to drive by. My lights on my Silverado are much better even w/o the factory foglights. So that is part of my reasoning to want to upgrade, the other is just trying to figure out if there is a better mouse trap out there and I don't have it yet...... [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Great site, very informative. Thank you for your reply. Spent the better part of yesterday trying to find something like that.....hope the boss doesn't read this.........nah, he lives in the city and probably can't even spell country.

Ended up getting a set of the GE Xenon bulbs. These are technically still just normal Halogen bulbs but may have a little bit of the Xenon gas in them. They claim 16% brighter. Normal halogen 980 lumens these 1090 lumens. They supposedly burn at 3100 ()k vs the normal 3000 () k. OSRAM makes one called the SilverStar that burns at 4000 () k. Now the true HID lights burn at 5000 () k +. BTW, don't ask me what these numbers mean other than the higher the number the closer it is to natural sunlight. Put them in last night and boy what a difference. They are brighter. But not sure if they are brighter because they are better or brighter because they are new (and the fact I have two again [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ). My burned out bulb didn't look in too bad of shape. Only one little black mark on it. The bulb that was still working was completely blackened and had a big bulge on the side of it. No wonder the thing looked dim. Was almost a joy driving to work - I could see again. I also readjusted the headlights while I was there working. Still need to actually put it to a wall though. But I must not be too far off. I didn't have anybody flash their lights at me this morning - not that I want them too. Don't want to blind them.

On a different note - I know a lot of people are complaining about the HID lights, this is the same argument that was going in the 70s & 80s when Halogen started becoming popular. Now one thing I've notice about the HID lighting. I have really poor eyesight and at night I see rings around most car headlights, with the HIDs because they have less scattering of light I don't get the rings. Even though they are brighter they don't bother me as much.