Thread: Pork & Sauerkraut Recipes??

Central PA, Near the site of the Largest Inflatable Dam in the US.

Pork & Sauerkraut Recipes??

Every New Year's Day for as long as I can remember, my Mom made Pork, and Sauerkraut in a roaster. I never asked her how she went about making it, but I want to try it this year. I know she roasted the Pork Roast first, and then added the Sauerkraut after. I'm just not sure what else was added. I'd be grateful for any help, and even other recipes. My wife doesn't like pork, and is making hot dogs, and also another batch of sauerkraut. Thanks

Kent

Re: Pork & Sauerkraut Recipes??

Ive made pork ribs with saurkrout before. I par boil the ribs in plenty of water and seasonings. Save the stock and put it in a roasting pan. Cut up lots of celery, oinions, peppers and some garlic cloves and blanch them on the stove with alittle olive oil. Put the whole mixture in the roaster along with the pork ribs. Drain the Krout dump that in plus a can of stewed tomatoes. Season it up a little..KICK it up a couple notches. Let it all simmer in the oven or on the stove top as long as you want...Dang good eatin if you simmer it for a long period like anything you simmer as it thickens not to your liking and some water or more stock.
    Hope this helps some. This is a way i cook a huge pork dish in a big electric roaster for partys. it goes over great and goes along way.
    Larry

Thanks Larry,

I found a recipe online, that you use Bacon in. I think we'll make a batch with the bacon for on the hot dogs. I also want to make plain sauerkraut with the pork roast. I'll use you're suggestion for that. Thanks again.

Kent

Have you considered replacing the hot dogs with some good sausage??

Egon

Good Im glad you like. You can also throw any other veggies you like in it also. Like eggplant, if you do eggplant you may not want to cook it first. it will cook down while you simmer the whole dish. Good luck and enjoy. This is makeing me hungry [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Larry

That sounds good too. I really never thought of Sausage. I may try that next time. Thanks.

Thanks Again Larry. I'll let you know how it taste after tomorrow.

Steelfan,
    Ok you let me know, but if you like all the things that go into it. You will love it all combined and simmered. The key to this dish and many others is to let it cook down on low heat and add liquid as it steams off. Like a good kettle of chili,stew or sause. Ever notice how some foods are better warmed up the second day? Thats because it's had a chance to cook all the ingrediances together...i can cook better than i spell [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] This pork dish ends up being more for a bowl than a plate if its as runny as i make it. Like chilli and stews i dont like them stiff. Hope ya enjoy. I dont do a big new years meal. We have Christmas eve and Day at my house and im cooked out for big meals for a few weeks after that. I usely make Lazanya for dinner. Which is a whole lot better the second day.
    Have Fun Larry

Hey Larry,

Sorry it took so long, but I've been a bit busy. Anyway the Sauerkraut was great. I made a 3 lb pork roast and added the Sauerkraut about halfway through the roasting process. The other batch , which was made in a crockpot with Hot Dogs wasn't as good. My wife does eat most roasts, so I had to make her something. The pork adds a great favor that hot dogs don't. Everyone loved the meal, and now I have a dinner to make every year. Thanks for all the help. By the way the warm ups were even better then the original meal.

Kent