Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brand new Ford F-150

Re: Brand new Ford F-150

I am torn about the long truck bed issue.
    Sure that long bed can be handy on ocassions but some days my older F250 with the extended cab and long bed feels like its 1000 ft long.

I am kind of leaning toward a short bed. Set it up with a tool box, gooseneck hitch, and then if you need to haul something long use a trailer.
    But I guess it depends on how much you need to haul long items.

Fred

I went through the same thing. Bought a new 01 Xtended cab Dodge, w/HO Cummins and 6 spd. It has the 6 1/2 ft bed. Every time I need it for 4 X8 plywood or similar, I just lower the tailgate. Haven't had a problem with those "bigger" items in the shorter bed length.

From what I've read, there is NO manual transmission available for the 2004 F-150.
    I'm going to be in the market for a new truck this year, to replace my 88 F-150. I'm
    not sure if I want the auto or man, but I sure would like the option. I've always owned
    Ford trucks, but this, among other option restrictions, could make me take a long look
    at other brands. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    "Hey, there's wires in these pipes!"

If you can use a trailer that is great but a lot of our jobs are in towns and small cities where there is no room to park our trucks let alone a trailer so you need to be able to haul in the back of a truck. We have two trucks with 8' boxes and that allows us to haul 16' stock. We also have one truck with a 6.5' box that allows us to make quick trips if we need something small. It is a 1999 2wd, 6cyl manual F-150 which is nice because it handles better then our longer trucks. I don't worry about length because I don't really have a option. I need the long bed and space in the cab so it is something I live with and get use to. The only time the 250 is a problem is in tight manuvering because as you know, 4wd does not turn sharp expecially when you want it to.

My advice is buy what you need. If you are constantly going to haul long items get the 8' box because it is easier then hauling a trailer around every time you need a 16' board or two. If you are only hauling 8' or 12' boards you can get along with a 6.5' box and use a trailer for the occasional long load if you want. Each box has its use and purpose so you are the only one who can decide for sure. Also, if you put a tool box on your truck that 6.5' box gets a lot smaller so if you want a rail mounted tool box and haul bulky items you might want the 8' box. Take care.

I am a long bed person too. Seems I always need or want the extra room. Sometimes I just have to park further out in the parking lot... Especially these new lots, that seem to be small even for a compact car...

On the '89 F250 xcab long bed 4x4 I used to have, I swapped out the IFS for a full straight axle. The straight axle turns tighter than the IFS. It also holds up better. If you look at older Ford IFS 4x4's, you'll notice a lot of them have front end sag. Only thing is, it sage so the caster/camber is thrown off and you get tire wear. Note that Ford switched back to Solid axles in the F250/350 4x4 series. The issue does not seem to affect the Chevy torsion bar setup. The leaf spring used in the older Ford does not wear well when rotation stress is placed on it(IFS pivotst from the center of the chassis).