Thread: Vehicle Thermometers

Vehicle Thermometers

Does anyone know where the temperature sending device in vehicles is usually mounted?
    I've always been a little suspect about these things. They always seem to read a bit colder
    than it actually is.
    "Hey, there's wires in these pipes!"

Re: Vehicle Thermometers

On the engine side of the thermostat.

[img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Al, I think he was asking about the outdoor temp sensor. I'm not sure, but my guess would be against the windshield right behind or above the rear view. Just my guess though.
    <font color="red">So others may live</font>

the one on my motorcycle is located just to the side of the instrument cluster .... but that probably doesn't help you, does it?

pete
    it's a shame that common sense isn't

I've had a couple that I suspect were mounted under the hood somewhere. They'd read hot if you were idling &amp; not moving.

Something to keep in mind, wind chill does not affect thermometers!

Wind chill is a measure of how cold it "feels". You feel cold because you are loosing heat. The wind chill index tells you how cold it would have to be w/o wind for you to loose the same amount of heat.

Thermometer isn't trying to heat anything, so wind chill has no effect.
    Hazmat

Oops! I meant the outside air temp. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Having an instrumentation background (industrial, not musical), I thought of different locations,
    but each one had some drawback. Inside the engine compartment would not work once the engine
    is running. The windshield may work until the defroster/heat is applied. The grille, maybe.

[img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    "Hey, there's wires in these pipes!"

I was wondering if it might be measuring the temp of the roof since on my wife's Durango the indicator is located in the overhead console.

On my truck, I roll down the window an inch or two and stick my fingers out. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

No, I'm the opp's guy. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Never occurred to me it could be anything else. Probably because my main machine is a "73" F250.

Southwest Pennsylvania just north of Pittsburgh

My '91 Corvette had it stuffed in the front cowl, below the air inlets. It was a surprise to match it's numbers with a digital thermometer, they were within 1/2 degree.

On my Dodge it's under the front of the hood. Once the engine is running and the fan is pulling air across it it is surprisingly accurate.