Thread: Chickens and Peafowl

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Chickens and Peafowl

My wife would like to get some peafowl and guinea fowl, just for fun, this spring, and we are going to expand our chicken flock, to expand our egg business. Someone told me that peacocks will attack and kill chickens. I don't know about guinea fowl.

Does anyone have any experience with chickens and peafowl and guinea fowl together?

Thanks!
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Re: Chickens and Peafowl

Growing up we had peacocks, chickens, guinea hens, turkeys, ducks and geese. They all seemed to get along together. The only problems we had was with the dogs. The peacocks constantly picked on the dogs. However, now we only have peacocks and dogs. For some reason they get along fine now.

Guineas pretty much stand there ground against chickens...I never raised Pea fowl so I can not help you there.

Our Guineas and Chickens "live" together in mutual toleration. (except for the one guinea chick who thinks she's a chicken). They will generally leave each other alone except for feeding time, whereby the guineas want their own space. If a chicken wanders too close, she will get chased out. But they have never attacked each other.
    -Frank