Thread: Boring beetles killing my pines

Hybrid View

Re: Boring beetles killing my pines

Harv,
    There is a Forest Service nusery in Camino. There is also a Master Gardner program, which in our area is through UC Davis, with an outreach office in Placerville.

I would start with one of those two programs. The Forest Service nursery has excellent botanist, horticulturists and arborists. They grow seedlings that are used for reforestation throughout the west.

The Master Gardner program is excellent too.

I would check with them before felling those trees. They may have outreach offices you could contact in Jackson too, closer to you. While you are at nhome, you may try UC Berkely too.

I can try to find the numbers...

California - S.F. East Bay & Sierra foothills

Thanks for the info, Robert.

I'll look for phone numbers, too.

Best way I've been able to detect an infested tree, besides woodpeckers and oozing sap, is to actually hear it. The tree will sound like a power transformer when the beetles are active in it audible up to about 20'. Soaking the trunk in Lindane has save a few of my yellow pines. Once the needles start to yellow its hopeless and I down them and spray with Lindane immediately. The bugs winter in the trees killed that year so its imperative to burn all remnants at least every winter.