Thread: Solid or stranded wire?

Solid or stranded wire?

2 part question. Which THNN wire would be best for running in conduit, solid or stranded? Also, is it o.k. to run romex in conduit or should I run individual wires like THNN? Thanks, JRF

Re: Solid or stranded wire?

If you have a complete conduit run, always pull individual wires. Any conductor in the ground (conduit or not) needs to be suitable for the location. THHN is dual marked THHN/THWN, the THWN is for wet locations. Stranded wires are easier to pull and work with.

Hope this helps
    Jerry

As the In-Spec-Tor has stated, you CAN use solid or stranded wire in the conduit. I generally use stranded where I think the "pull" may be difficult as the stranded wire negotiates turns a little better. The stranded is more difficult to connect to unless you are using crimp-on connectors, and when you do that, there is always the opportunity to introduce a bad connection because, well, it IS one more connection! [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] If you have romex and want to use it in the conduit, it's OK, BUT......you'll never get it outa there if changes or repairs become necessary. Once the pulling soap dries out, that romex will not move. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] If you happen to have a HUGE conduit and you can use it for a little job, then the romex will come out. I'm talking 2" and up here. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

A couple things I meant to say above as well..........Romex is not a wiring method inside conduit that I'd want to use, and depending on your locale, may not be permitted.
    Romex is not acceptable for underground use, in conduit or not.

One more thing to add to the commentary by Insp.#507......romex gives away some of the carrying capacity because of it's tight jacket and the inability to give up HEAT. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Even in conduit, single wires can cool just a tad whereas romex has no chance. Trust me on this as I look at this stuff everyday through the lens of an Infrared camera. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave