Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Economical chicken coop

Economical chicken coop

Any one have an idea for an economical chicken coop for 10 chickens ?

I have permission to place a coop on property that is adjacent to mine ( Can't have chickens in our neighborhood, wouldn't be prudent ) I don't want to invest a lot of money into a coop as it may be temporary. Any suggestions for an economical ( cheap ) solution.
    ChuckinVA

Re: Economical chicken coop

I just heard about something called a chicken tractor. There was a great article in Mother Earth News with instructions on how to build a really nice looking one that was online just a couple of weeks ago but I couldn't find it - they have the newer edition up already. But if you do a web search you should be able to find lots of information.

The thing is basically a large cage (4'x8' and 4'x12' seem like pretty common sizes), and you can put wheels on it if you want. One end usually has a floor, roof, and often walls as well to act as a coop. The other end is left open on the bottom but with chicken wire on the sides and top so that the chickens can scratch and eat weeds and insects. Then you move the thing from place to place as they eat up the stuff in one spot. If you don't want them scratching up the ground you put a floor in the "front" half.

Anyway, looks like one could be built seriously inexpensively, or if you wanted to make it real purdy for just a few hundred bucks you can put shingles on, nice walls, and stuff like that.

Do a web search on "chicken tractor" - there's actually a guy that wrote a book about them that I'm tempted to pick up. I'm just not sure I really want chickens [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ...Chris

See if you can pick up a cap for a pick up truck from a junk yard. I've seen them go for as little as $10.00. You'll need to build a small roost for the chickens to perch on inside and also build a waterer and feeder. If you hunt around you should be able to get everything you need for <$30.00.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I just heard about something called a chicken tractor.

[/ QUOTE ]

To see how we deal with chickens -- including how to butcher them -- visit our Chicken Page

Pete

Chris,
    Thanks, I have the article. I was addding up the cost of plywood etc and would have the most expensive eggs in town ! If it was permanent or on my property I wouldn't mind spending the $ CHUCK
    ChuckinVA

Thanks Andy ,

That is the kind of ideas I am looking for. I need to make it predator impaired as we have foxes / skunks / possums in the area. CHUCK
    ChuckinVA

Thanks Pete ! I have been to your site before&gt; Great info especially on butchering. We have 10 chicks as of Tuesday. Four different varietys. Three I recognize and one I don't. Can't wait to see how many hens we got out of the bunch. We were considering culling all of the roosters but may rethink that after reading your article. Just don't want the noise to become an issue with my neighbors. CHUCK
    ChuckinVA

Hey, that was a pretty cool page! Thanks for sending me to it. Good thoughts there.

Just one question - would it be neccessary to feed the chickens in the winter if you didn't have snow? We have grass and such available year round - would that make them less expensive?

And the idea of the truck cap is a good one, too.

This web site is a great thing...

Hi Chuck:

For our chicken laying flock 9-10 hens, I made a condo. The footprint is 46x48 inches, two story structure. We live in a cold climate and I only used 3/8 ply wood cheap here @ $8.00 on sale. Three sheets did it all. Inexpensive OBS board has been used since by others following the basic design.

This design allows for easy cleaning, feeding and egg collection. The laying boxes stick-out the side allowing more floor space inside, with a removable top for egg collection.

With two lights, 40watts each level, the egg production codo has worked well for over two years now.

We only use shredded news paper for bedding, keeping odor to a minimum. Good for the heap as well.

The look of the structure is unobtrusive to others. Most demand a look inside when you tell them what it is.

It is humouris, when the hens cakel inside. It sounds like laughter.

I would be glad to share any more information, upon request. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

RAVeman
    Have fun and Thank You

I'd like to see a picture or some kind of plans. Sounds like a good idea - and "cheap" is always a good thing in my book...