Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dairy goats

Re: Dairy goats

oops! Just checked on that title. The magazine is called "The Goat Magazine." (Gee, the name must have been too complex for my brain to remember. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] )

Steve

Just FYI, independent testing on our herd has conclusively proven that 50% of goats like Chili Cheese Fritos. 16% do not like the smell and will not taste them and 34% will taste them and then spit them out (after which the first 50% will find them and eat them). 100% of the Billy's we tested did not like the taste. 40% of the Nanny's did not like the taste or smell, (of these 50% did not like the taste). Fully 60% of the nanny goats liked both taste and smell.

There you have it. Fritos Chili cheese, liked by some goats. Next we will test cheese popcorn!

Steve

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Nice, scientific study, Steve!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

I'm always amused by the perception that most people have that goats eat almost anything. We already have two pet goats (a Pygmy and an Angora), and they are EXTREMELY picky eaters. I've offered them all kinds of things, including horse treats, that I'd have thought they'd love, but they turn their noses up at them! [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Rich,

While it is true that they are picky eaters, they will chew on a lot of stuff. One of ours insists on untying my shoes. She just likes to chew on the laces, she doesn't eat them, she just chews on them. Another loves to pull the wife's pony tail.

Ours are so picky, they will eat hay, as long as it is up off the ground. Once it touches the ground, it's for walking on, not eating. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Steve

This week's test results.
    Product tested: Cheap Oatmeal cookies (2 for $1.00 kind).

100% of Billys tested liked cheap Oatmeal Cookies as fast as they could get them and gave them 2 "hoofs up" (on the gate).

60% of Nannys tested liked the cheap oatmeal cookies, with 40% willing to fight over them. 20% of Nannys tested would taste the cheap oatmeal cookies, but not eat them, and 20% would not even taste them.

20% of the Nannys who liked Chili Cheese Fritos did not like the cheap oatmeal cookies. 20% of the Nannys who did NOT like the chili cheese Fritos, liked the cheap oatmeal cookies. Whereas 20% of the Nannys were not satisfied with either the Chili Cheese Fritos or the cheap oatmeal cookies.

Steve

Man, this is getting involved.

This week's test results.

Item tested:Cheese Popcorn.

Results:
    100% of billys tested like cheese popcorn.

80% of Nannys tested liked the cheese popcorn, while 20% not only didn't like it, but apparently would prefer to go climb on an old stump rather than eat it.