Thread: hello everyone! Weird gross questions about wormer

hello everyone! Weird gross questions about wormer

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone haad heard the myth abouth dogs not getting heart worm if they eay horse poop! I know it sounds gross but apparently they digest enough ivermectin that passes thru the horse to fend off heart worms. Maybe its just a old wives tale? I have 4 very large dogs that i cant afford the heart worm meds for.....they were alll rescue but one. THey have never come up[ positive for heart worm and some one told me thats why.
    Also there is suposed to be a way to give them bovine wormer thats much more cost effective but does anyonne here know the weiighht/% ? Thanks [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: hello everyone! Weird gross questions about wormer

Take heed, my 100+ lb lab almost died several times from eating fresh horse manure from Quest wormings. His kidneys would completely shutdown. My canine vet didn't know what was going on, my equine vet finally clued me in and in going back and checking the timings the episodes were dated identical to my worming schedule. Glad you brought this up because my equine vet is coming out to geld next week and I want to ask him about the ivermectins causing the same woes. I still include Quest in my rotation for HEALTHY horses but I excercise proper precautions with my pets, including chickens, and WASH my hands after handling the stuff.

You came to the right place! Weird gross questions are our specialty! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Steve

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    You came to the right place! Weird gross questions are our specialty!

[/ QUOTE ]

Just stay away from the sheep... LOL [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

Our dogs (3) and our friends dogs (5-6 I forgot) dine on horse manure all the time. Not sure what they treat their horses with though. I will try to find out. Oh, and both my wife and our friend work at a vet hospital.

Ken H.

<font color="blue"> Just stay away from the sheep... LOL </font color>

Oh NO! I was in a fraternity - this doesn't bring up any good thoughts [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ...

(Just kidding, folks!)

I'd never heard the thing about feeding dogs horse stuff. Sounds like it doesn't hurt them, though.