Thread: Ultraviolet Water Treatment

Ultraviolet Water Treatment

My wife and I have just taken posession of a new piece of property. While having the well system tested we found that the below ground well head was flooded with ground run off and of course the well was contaminated. During discussions on how to correct this problem (already done) the subject of UV units for getting rid of E coli and coliform bacteria, and any other nasties, came up. I'm wondering if others are using this technology, and if so what their experiences have been. Are the flow rates through these devices adequate, do you feel comfortable relying upon these units, and do you still carry out periodic water sampling through an approved lab to ensure unit is effective?

Re: Ultraviolet Water Treatment

We use ultraviolet for our water. Our well is also contaminated with E coli and coliform. There is only my wife and I but we have not had a problem with flow rates. This is our third year and we continue to have water that passes periodic testing. We have replaced the light one time so far, it is recommended to replace them on a yearly basis, at least that is what we were told. Knowing the well is contaminated I really do not feel comfortable drinking it but according to the testing it is safe.

Re: Ultraviolet Water Treatment

I can understand being uncomfortable about the water. According to my wife the water at our cabin has an "odor". I can't smell anything, but she can. For the last five years we lived there, I had to buy bottled water for her to drink.

Steve