Thread: Need a well in NY

Need a well in NY

We are planning to meet with a couple of local well drillers next month (Washburn and Moravec) to get an idea of cost. We own property on the western shore of Seneca lake. Is there any "rule of thumb" in regards to what one might expect to pay? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: Need a well in NY

We had an eighty-five foot well drilled eighteen months ago by John Moravec for about eighteen hundred dollars. My son is planning on building and I will just call Moravec to set up a time to drill his well. Drilling for water is not an exact science but the Moravec family has a great reputation.

Their equipment is the best and when they make an appointment they are there. Water is too important not to hire the best.

Most drillers will give you a per foot charge for the cased portion, a different per foot price for the uncased, and a minimum charge that covers their cost if they hit really shallow. You also can go 4 inch or 6 inch. Personally I'd lean to the 6 inch, gives you a much larger reservoir if you don't have a great well. I would also go with an oversized bladder tank for your basement. They don't cost that much more and help pump longevity by reducing the number of start/stop cycles.

Thanks for the info...we are meeting with one of the Moravecs this Friday on our property... [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Please say hello for us.

I have to set an appointment for them to come and drill a well this summer. Right now our son is working on locating the best place for the septic system. It is a ten acre lot but most of it is up and down not level.

You will very happy with the Moravec family.

Tim Sullivan
    Geneseo, New York