Thread: Farmer trailer light connection wiring

Farmer trailer light connection wiring

I just wanted to pass this on after reading Gary's question on the various wiring connections for trailers. A farmer friend of mine wires his trucks all for the seven wire connection. He keeps two conversion plugs in each truck. One converts from his seven round to accept a six round. The other converts a a six round to accept a flat four.

With that simple system he can hook up to whatever trailer wiring he's likely to encounter. The seven hooks direct. He uses one converter to go to a six round and uses both to go to a flat four. Simple as can be and effective. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I only wish I'd used that method on mine. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Unfortunately, he shared this with me the day after I wired my truck. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] I've got a connection in my bumper that will accept either a six round or a flat four so I guess it could be worse. Truth be told, I probably shouldn't be pulling anything with a seven pin connection, anyhow. This is probably a good safety system for me. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Farmer trailer light connection wiring

Gary,
    Unless you pull a camper that has back-up lights [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ......7 pin is the only way to go. It had a battery for the brakes that charged as it was being towed as well. The 12 volt Fridge was cold when we got to wherever we were going.

Re: Farmer trailer light connection wiring

Gary: It has to be at least fifteen years ago that a buddy came into my shop and found me replacing a broken 6-pole connection on one of my pickups. He told me right then that I needed to have Seven-Pole Bergs on EVERYTHING because it's one that isn't likely to change. Of course I didn't heed his advice and a year later one of my helpers destroyed another plug ....the one I was using had had JUST gone obsolete......and at that point I DID convert to the 7-spot Berg hiway trailer plug and like your friend I have several pigtails that I can stick in and convert to different types of plugs. The U-Haul guys just LOVE it when I stick in a pigtail that has four bullet plug-in females on the end of a short cord. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img] I've finally figured out that if you had every plug you're ever likely to need on your back bumper, it would have so many holes in it that it would be like swiss cheese.
    CJDave