Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Best place to Live?

Re: Best place to Live?

Did your grandpa work on the bunker/fallout shelter they built on the Greenbrier ?

If you want to find a hidden "paradise: check-out: www.ruidoso.net. Great climate, good people, and low cost of living. We moved here from San Diego area and wouldn't even think of going bac! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    SASS #40402
    NRA Member

Riudoso is a really beautiful place. My grandmother has a "cabin" there - love to visit. Hoping to get out there some time this summer...

I only about an hour and a half south of Delta. It is cowboy movie country. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Eric

No, he was a carpenter and to the best of my recollection worked on the main building. It gets a little foggy remembering back to those stories heard as a kid. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    Eric

Eric,

I was born over the hill from you in Panguitch. We moved away but I spent many summer months there. I've still got a ton of uncles and aunts in that area. One uncle owns the Bryce - Zion Midway Restaraunt and Inn, in Hatch. I love that country. I'm actually in the midwest now.

Regarding places to live, my wife and I have recently begun this discussion, as the end is finally near for my career as a student and I'll have to begin a new "real" career.

Right now, we own some acreage in Oklahoma. Job offers have opened a door here and one out west in Utah. For us, lots of property is the goal and we'll need to live w/i a reasonable distance of a good size city to work in.

We've looked at which local would be best and still be close to work. Once you factor in price per acre Oklahoma is a pretty amazing deal. We could buy 100+ acres for around 80-100k and still be within 45 minutes of Oklahoma City.

The other big seller for us has been the Oklahomans. I've bounced around picking up degrees (WA, ID, UT, MN, LA, and OK) and I believe that the friendliest people I've evermet live here in fly over country. The Okies are more than willing to stop and help a person in need.

No mountains, but some beautiful rolling hills and as Pat said above lots of water.

Most people plan to stay for a while and end up permanent.

Clint
    si vis pacem para bellum

I agree about Oklahoma. But I'm sure the tornados would bother some folks. Everytime one hits Moore they keep getting closer to my house!!! Matter of time I guess [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] .

We also have a place in Prarie View (Southeast of Pauls Valley) and I was talking with one of the long time neighbors and in '61 a tornado went across our place, wiped out the house and sent one of the neighbors into labor. I hope to build down there in a couple years. I will have a little over an hour drive to work. But all I think about is being down there with some space between me and the neighbors.

Anyway hope the storms missed you, guessing Pat got drinched Thursday night.

A bright note to the storms is that we have some of the best weather warnings the nation. My cousin lives in Dallas and the weathers guys down there just aren't the same. I agree at times they are over doing it, but you can't please everybody all the time.

Gary

I agree with Clint and Chilli about Oklahoma. We bought 10 acres in Norman in a restricted residential development, 1800sq ft min. frame up const. 50% min.. On our 10 acres we have rolling hills, spring fed pond, and a creek and we only paid 42k. We start const. on our new house in 30days yippee.
    The thing about Oklahoma is there is such a diversity of landscape, from Arbuckle Mtns. to Little Sahara sand dunes. Beautiful clear lakes. Anyway thats my 2 cents. Fairhope AL., and Greensboro NC. are nice too I have also lived there. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

I think the area around Reedsburg, in Sauk County, Wisconsin, is one of the most beautiful in the world. The soil there will grow anything and the people are the salt of the earth... none nicer. I'd buy a farm down there if I wasn't tied to the Twin Cities for a living.

I lived in Oregon for 5 years.That is a beautiful place. It didn't suit me though, I was raised in the Midwest and I missed it, so came back.

Well, after reading this, there are good places all over, but every place has it's good points and bad points. Although I'm sure Bird would say Texas has no bad points!

I had a lot of time to think about where I live yesterday while spending a little over 2 hours mowing my 3+ acre "yard". It's a muddy mess right now. It's been raining so much lately and there hasn't been a break long enough for it to dry out, so I haven't mowed in over 2 weeks, so the grass was tall, thick, and still wet. That's after finally getting a whole 2 days and 1 night with no rain! I was mowing in standing water and mud. The caster wheels on the mower would leave ruts, and I had to lift it so the weight was on the wider tractor wheels, or it would sink in the ground and try to scalp the grass. It's been this way in the spring 3 of the 6 years I've lived here, although the first year (1998) it stayed like this until late July.

So, for 2 hours I thought to myself, "Why do I live here?" Surely there's a better place! What good is a big yard if it's too wet to do anything anyway? But family is in the Midwest. And jobs are scarce, so it's not going to be easy to find anyplace better where I can find a job anyway. I wish I could tolerate cold weather, then I'd have a lot more choices!