Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Best place to Live?

Re: Best place to Live?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'm sure Bird would say Texas has no bad points

[/ QUOTE ]

Well . . ., that's not quite true [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] ; depends on where in Texas. Around Dallas it's too danged hot in the summer and there's too much traffic. But at least I don't have to shovel or plow snow. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Speaking of storms. My mother-in-law has been staying w/ us, waiting for the birth of our first, her first grandchild (happened Saturday 5/17 morning early). Prior to the big ones that hit a few weeks back she and my wife were asking me about how safe it was where we lived. I did a search and found that since the late 1800's there have only been 4 or 5 tornados that have come w/i 3 miles of our place.

Well of course when you tell people things like that life gets interesting fast. W/i a few days of my research and statement the Friday night tornado that hopped skipped and jumped through OKC and up to the Turner turnpike came w/i 1.5 miles south of us before being sucked back up into the sky (not sure if they actually get sucked or not) and then dropping 3 miles east.

Had the wife, the mother-in-law, and the two dogs in the tub w/ a mattress over them.

I don't think the in laws will be moving to OK any time soon. I guess it's true what they say, "Every storm cloud does have a silver lining." [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I am seriously saving $ for that all important storm shelter now that I have a wife, two dogs and a new son to take care of. Amazing how helpless little humans make you reevaluate a lot.

Clint.
    si vis pacem para bellum

I hate tornados. I've always been fortunate enough to live in houses that have basements, and we and the kids religiously go there to the Southwest corner when the sirens blow. Wisconsin and Minnesota don't get them as often as OK and KA, thank heaven. But the ones we get are nasty. We seem to have the better part of a town or 2 destroyed every year.

Something I've observed, You know something is coming close when cats run down in the basement with you. I believe they can sense the pressure changes in the air, when they haul tail to the basement it's a good thing to consider.

[img]/forums/images/icons/ooo.gif[/img]

Tornados and more severe storms are a big part of the equation of "the best place to live". I believe that the global warming we have seen will continue (as per scientists forecasts from around the world - not the ones paid by the current Washington admin). As the average temp inches up little by little this increased energy can whip up some severe stuff. So, I'm looking to move north in general.
    Rich

Global Warming?
    Last winter when i was breaking ice in buckets every morning for weeks, you could have fooled me. bcs [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I've traveled quite a bit and lived in many places in the US including Indiana, Michigan, Arizona, San Diego, and of course born and raised in the great Northwest (Washington). I liked Danny's approach so here goes

Michigan:

Pro: Lots of trees and beautiful colors in the fall.
    Con: Too hot and humid in the summer and too long of winter.

Indiana: See Michigan above.

Arizona:

Pro: Nothing but blue sky every single day. Incredible weather in the winter, spring, and fall. Great outdoor place.
    Cons: Hotter than blazes in the summer, no trees or really good water recreational places.

San Diego:

Pro: Beautiful weather, great beach access, super golf courses.
    Cons: Cost of living and property values high.

Washington:

Pro's - gods country. the city of Seattle is nestled along the Puget Sound to the west (salt water) and Lake Washington (east) in a valley between the Olympic mountain range (stunning) and the Cascade Mountain range. All this while staring right at Mt. Rainier. The mighty Pacific is only a hop skip and a jump away. Never too hot in the summer or too cold in the winter. Only in Vancouver, Canada might one find a more beautiful location for a city.

Cons - Property values (see taxes) sky high in King County (primary county). Weather is mild so there isn't really four distinct seasons, Rains too much so you probably wouldn't like it. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I enjoyed reading about all of your favorite places. good thread.

TD

<font color="blue"> So, I'm looking to move north in general. </font color>

Used to be that out here in CA you could pretty much figure that there wouldn't be tornados. Not true any more - we seem to see funnel clouds on the news pretty much every season lately. And basements aren't all that common out here. Our house would be a toothpick in a twister [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] ...

But we haven't had an earthquake around this area in years [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ...

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    not the ones paid by the current Washington admin).

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean the last administration.....Not everyone believes in the global warming theory.....

Global warming is real. It's not a question of belief anymore. No responsible scientist believes otherwise. The Insurance underwriters acknowledge it and are factoring it in to their probability calculations... they pay out for the catastrophes, you see. Even the Bush Administration has acknowledged global warming is real, but their fallback position (after years of conservative denial it was a problem) is that it's inevitable and we all must adapt.

I do not think it is inevitable or desirable.

It is not proven,it is theory not fact....It is still a debate...We had a lot colder winter in my neck of the woods last winter than we have had in years. Some greenhouse gases are naturally produced in the Earth’s atmosphere from water vapor, and carbon dioxide. The earth’s history also shows how the overall temperature of the earth’s surface has fluctuated throughout its existence. A problem that arises with the global warming debate is weather patterns have only been traced back to about one hundred and fifty years; therefore it is hard to predict the outcome of the future with such a short past. Another argument surrounding global warming is, are humans really increasing the earth’s temperature at a alarming rate, or is humanity just a ripple in the earth’s pool of history, and this warmth is nature taking its course? It all depend on who you ask, or your view of nature’s role on earth."