Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fencing Questions

Fencing Questions

I need some fencing ideas. We have just bought a 32 acre wooded piece of property and would like to fence it. We do not have any plans for animals so the fence is more on line of "good fences make for good neighbors". Barbwire was suggested as easy and as cheap as you can do but Cowboydoc pointed out to me that it could be bad for future animals like horses. The point was also made that for the expense of fencing that much you might as well do it for unforeseen future animals now.

I found that to be good advice so what type of fencing do you all use or suggest? Where is the best place for a beginner to learn the basics? Anyone want to come spend a month and help? (worth a try [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )

MarkV

Re: Fencing Questions

Thoughts:
    As you mentioned a " good neighbour fence " perhaps clear your fenceline, install proper posts but only run one strand of smooth wire. This would establish the property line and be cheaper than a full fledged fence that you have no idea as to what it will contain or restrain.

Egon

Egon,

I have thought of the same thing. With the proper posts and spacing it would seem that you could always come back and add the proper wire fencing or what ever is needed at the time. So, what is the proper spacing for posts?

MarkV

Perhaps one strand of white PVC coated wire. Safer for wildlife, more visible, and still real cheap.

Would be suitable for horses later on by adding additional strands and 4" belt rail on top.

5/16 PVC coated wire

I can't tell you what the rules are for regular wire fencing, but with the PVC coated wire the recommended spacing is 12'.

Why fence if there are no animals? Seems a total waste of time and money and I'm a country boy... A fence must be maintained, even without livestock, trees, weather and deer damage fences.
    Bo McCarty, Realtor

As someone has suggested 12 feet.
    The problem being the end use type of fencing material is not yet determined the spacing is also indeterminate.
    My suggestion would be to go as far as possible, perhaps even 20 feet or 24 feet and extra posts could be added later.
    All you are now doing is delineating your property lines.

Egon

Good feedback and I appreciate it. The PVC wire looks like a good possibility and not to hard to work with. I am so new at this I didn't even know about that type of fencing. Thanks Steve. Bo, as Egon says I am more interested in delineating the boundaries of the property at this time. The property we bought has a very nice 6 acre lake with to much trash left around it by someone. The locals have a degree of respect for not crossing someone's fence. No fence seems to indicate you have opened your property to the world and No Trespassing signs seem to indicate that you have put up targets for those who would like some shooting practice. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Thanks,
    MarkV

>The locals have a degree of respect for not crossing someone's fence. No fence seems to indicate you have opened your property to the world and No Trespassing signs seem to indicate that you have put up targets for those who would like some shooting practice.

I know the feeling. Fortunately, here in S. New England, we have enough rocks to make our fences. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

The best place would be found in Eastern Kentucky. There is a guy there that will be putting on a free fencing clinic. This will take place in July when he gets his first cutting in and new house roughed in. I mean spacious rustic lodge. Free golves for the first 20 participants. Electricans and plumbers will be offered preference. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Seriously, fences do make for good neighbors. Land changes hands and a fence makes for a good visible property line. But I would probably go with the posts in line every so many yards. At least close enough that a few are visible in any direction. Caution survey tape would probably keep them guessing for a while until they forgot about the place. So would evenly spaced shilloute targets on those posts.

Patrick
    Patrick