Thread: Another Barn Question - Floors & horsies

Hybrid View

Re: Another Barn Question - Floors & horsies

Hi, I'm new here but have had horss for about 20 years. I've never had the opportunity to build my dream barn, the barn was always there when I moved in. I have had one with rough concrete with mats over it, it was ok but you really have to make sure the mats fit otherwise the shaving get under the mats and they move around. One place had asphalt with mats and shaving, that seemd a little softer on the legs. My place now has dirt floors and sawdust, I get the sawdust from a mill, it's pretty cheap, just make sure it's pine and not walnut as the walnut is toxic. I have to relevel the dirt floors a couple times a year. the footing is gravel with dirt on top. I use stone dust to fill in the holes from pawing. One solution I found is don't let the horses in the barn, lol. they have a shed in the turnout, it has a dirt floor. Luckily whoever put the shed in has it in a good spot for drainage. They also have trees out there for shelter. I only use the stalls for feeding them and if they need to be confined for any reason which is almost never. If the weather is very bad I will put them in for a few hours. so for my use the dirt floor and sawdust works well. I have a rough concrete aisle, grooming area and wash stall.
    linda

Re: Another Barn Question - Floors & horsies

Welcome to the extended family..

We have a concrete aisle; we put a few stall mats down the center, and the when cross-tied, the horses tend to shift to one side or the other, to get their feet off the rubber..
    Pete