Thread: Horse Stall maintainence

Horse Stall maintainence

After 2 years in the new barn I want to pull up the mats in my stalls and re-level them. They are mats on top of stone dust. I was thinking I should throw down some lime while I'm at it. I asked our trainer what they do at their 35 stall barn and they say they sprinkle some stall-dry under the mats. I don't use the stall-dry product and I'm a little leary of putting it under my mats. I think I'd feel better about lime.

Is lime a good idea? And how much?

Re: Horse Stall maintainence

HI steve
    I have not pulled up my stall mats but we use lime at times in heavey areas dosen't hurt anything
    edt

Stall dry is a great product. I don't like the lime as much as it doesn't pack as hard. I like the fines from the quarry. They pack much harder and they also don't get gummy and somewhat muddy like the lime does.

I found this on their web site:

"Dry Stall" is a naturally occurring lightweight volcanic aggregate. Due to its porosity, it is an ideal medium for aerating, softening, and draining your soil. "Dry Stall" is more absorbent and offers better soil conditioning than decomposed gravel or sand.

It IS a horse bedding that will keep your stall dry - free from moisture and ammonia - reduce fly population -
    extend shavings life and much, much more!

I guess if it is natural volcanic rock that eases my concerns about it (I thought it was a manufactured product). It says it can nuetralize ammonia, does that mean it's limestone based?

My stalls are 6 inches of stone dust on top of 1' of gravel, so drainage and mud are not really an issue. Richard, do you think there is any value to using some of the Dry Stall under the mats? I gather it is usally just sprinkled around in the stall under the shavings.

It looks like there are actually 2 products "Dry Stall" and "Stall Dry". Stall Dry is the manufactured product and I think that is what they use at our trainer's barn. It is a product they continuously add in with the shavings.

I'm still leary of using this under the mats. I think I'll go with some form of lime. Does the granular lime or limestone screening nuetralize ammonia the same way lime does? Perhaps slower acting and longer lasting? That might be a good thing.

Is Stall Dry similar to SweetPDZ ? Someone is trying to sell us that.. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    Pete

Don't THINK it's the same stuff pete. We use the sweet pdz and it does a good job of neutralizing the urine odor. We use it AFTER we pick the stall and clean the wet spot. (even thoughy most is soaked up in the bedding there's residual left on the mats). Sprinkling a little directly on the mats where the wet spot is works pretty well in keeping the ammonia odor down, espceially now that the weather's starting to warm up. (It IS starting to warm up, isn't it................????)