Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I wrong??

Re: Am I wrong??

After you put up your fence start saving money just in case the property comes up for sale. My father in law had the option to buy an empty lot next to his property and he didn't. A couple years later a trailer was put there and it averages 8 people, lots of junk cars and even one or two that work. He has been regreting that decision for the last 23 years.

Steve

Steve

I would say put up the fence or whatever you think would give you peace of mind when you get home. You are not going to change his lifestyle or his habits. It's your land and your right to mold it the way you see fit. He may have been there first and he is within his rights to live the way he wants to also. But you don't have to look at it if you don't want to.

MIke

Well I started to reply and then backed off and went back and re-read. Now I am ready to reply.

First issue is additude, Your in the country. What someone does and how is property looks is really none of your business. His trailer looks like crap is a very much a CITY view of the country. maybe thats all he can afford? Maybe he is just a slob in a handme down trailer with a lot of junk cars.
    Thats really not your concern. Thats not part of the issue here. The view of the trailer may be an issue, but thats it.

You have 11 acres but only 200ft to the neighbors? Must be a big deep lot.
    Why is mowing 10ft onto your property tick you off? Heck ask him to mow 200ft onto your property. What the grass doesnt have the perfect cross hatch like a baseball field look your going after? Again people do care if you have a perfectly staight mow lines. If you dont want him to mow on your property ask him not to do it. Have you done that? Have you had any contact with him? Again typical city view, blame someone when not conforming to your norm. Talk with him, have him over for dinner, let him know your issue, get to know your neighbor.

While your within your right to put up a 10ft fence on your property, assume you have whatever/if any permits your county might require. I find a 10ft stockade fence to be an ugly look. It blocks views, Its not cheap and its very anti social .
    A nice long 10ft long fence will make a nice long target when he need to practice for bow season..

Bamboo, Just a word of warning. Bamboo is nice looking but it will take over area and spread out in all directions. Reconside this route.

Church Road, VA 45 miles SOUTH of Richmond

UPDATE- I took my tractor out today to work on my new driveway (the old driveway crosses his land by easment). I see he has one of his non-movable trucks hood open. I drive on over to see if I can help him with anything and he asks if I can pull the truck with the tractor out of the mud. Seems he was trying to get rid of it and it was stuck. After talking to him he has agreed to give the truck away. Have a flatbed pick up the car that is on blocks, give the 83 Camaro to his nephew and park his vehicles in one certain area instead of all over the yard. Yes, he was there first. This place used to be 40 acres but the previous owners split it up odd shaped. He just happened to put his trailer right close to the line because the well was already there for the farmhouse he burned down. (ooops). The reason I really didn't want him to mow where he does is because I have mulched around each individual Leyland Cypress tree and he cut so low (1/2" at most!!!) that he runs over thee mulch and the bottoms of the trees. I offered to buy his property and he said no thanks. I offered to move him into the middle of his property and have a new well drilled. No thanks. I think it is all going to work out now we have talked it all over *again*. Thanks for all your help guys! PS looks like I have no need for a fence now! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Church Road, VA
    See some pics at http://photos.yahoo.com/vamangano

Good suggestion. I am next to a worn-out commercial-type building that appears to be vacant. They do however use it for storage. I have even called them numerous times to see if they wanted to sell it. They don't, but now know that if they ever do, I'll be the first to know.

If you have the means, go over and casually ask if he'd ever consider selling. You just never know. I actually did that with another neighbor with some acreage and they told me that they may be moving in a year or so. Now we may be able to get my brother-in-law in there and hopefully even avoid real estate agents.

Good luck and keep us informed as to what happens.

- Gerald

Glad to hear it. Now he knows you are a nice helpful concerned neighbor and things should be better between you. Hell, maybe he'll even share some of his beer with you!