Everytime I check this thread I feel so lucky to have been able to build our home without any real difficulties. The subs were on time and just did their work to my satisfaction.

There were mistakes some by the architect, framer, roofer, plumber and even me. The framer caught an error by the architect but then framed the fireplace wall wrong. The roofer's workers did some sloppy work and when the boss saw it he hit the roof himself to fix it.

Except for the plumber everyone was quick to fix any errors. There was a lot of time locating and hiring the right subs. People who showed up on time and did very good work. All the subs except the plumber again made this a very good experience.

The schedule was for 120 days and the construction was done in 108 days. It took a year to find the best and most responsible contractors in our area and then set the schedule.

I was at the site daily and most days working on my parts of the project. You just get more work done better when you are around. Most important I was the boss and controled the money. When subs were done, I paid them that day. This was not lost on the other subs who were working the job.

My advice to anyone going to build a home is to spend the time up front finding the best subs and GC your own home. Just make sure that you are working as hard as GC as you would want a builder to do. Sure there will be problems but that is expected. It is how those errors are corrected that make it a good or bad experience.