Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uh-oh. Help!

Re: Uh-oh. Help!

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    wouldn't a left hand bit require a drill that runs in reverse?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, you need a reversible drill. Personally, I wouldn't buy a drill that wasn't a variable speed reversible model.

Just read this thread and was wondering how you made out??
    [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
    Darin

You'll never know the full benefits of a reversable drill until you screw a sheetrock screw into your hand and you ain't got reverse. From experience, you only do it once.
    <font color="red">So others may live</font>

It's also better if you do it quickly after doing it. Staring at it or going slowly doesn't help. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Not that I would ever do anyting like that. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Patrick

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Just read this thread and was wondering how you made out??

[/ QUOTE ]
    Actually, I've been too chicken to work on it. Guess I'm going to have to break down and do it though. Managed to find a square "Hanson" easy out, brand new and still on the original card for 50 cents at a yard sale. Looks to be about the same size and it should let me work the plug back and forth, hopefully that will let it loosen up.

Steve

Oh.. Oops I thought maybe you had fixed it.. Well I know exactly how you feel and putting it off.

I was told by a back yard mechnic that when changing plugs on these aluminum heads you can't have any heat and to have them at ambient temp before attempting. Not sure if this is correct but it has me scared about doing the "normally simple" jobs.. Kinda like changing a oil pan gasket on a ford now days.. Holy crap undo the engine mounts and pull motor up to give the pan enough clearance.. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Darin

Cluck, Cluck, Cluck.
    I did hear a chicken.
    Sure understand. I've had my share of "learning" experiences like the one you are about to undertake.
    The worst one was a large 3/4" bolt in the rear suspension of the car. The bolt had sheared off while driving. So I thought - I'll just use an "easy out" to get the remains of the bolt out. Drilled a hole in the bolt for the easy out. Well the easy out snapped off in the bolt. Had to use a small chisel the break up the easy out then drilled out the bolt and re-tapped for a larger bolt. This whole "learning" experience took most of one day.

I'm going to let them soak for a few days with some PB blaster and then give it a shot with the easy out. This last one I got is pretty big, I don't think I could break it if I tried. But, I didn't think I could break a spark plug if I tried, either. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

Steve